Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2018 Movie Reviews

I rarely post on here, so maybe that's my New Years Resolution.
I watched 192 films this year; not all from this year, and some were short films (an hour or less)

Here are my top 10 movie reviews for 2018.

1. Crazy Rich Asians - My favorite movie for 2018. It was funny, had great actors/actresses in it, and told a story that could be cliche at times, but in the end, it was all to put a smile on my face. I loved everything about it, and went on the emotional journey the director wanted. 

2. Searching - I found this movie very intense and held my interest the whole time. John Cho gave a great performance as a father searching for his missing daughter. Lots of easter eggs scattered throughout to hint at the ending, but they still managed to throw in a twist that I should have seen coming, but didn't. Also, having it shot on cell phones/computer camera throughout was well done.

3. Won't you be my neighbor - A beautiful documentary about Fred Rogers and how his idea for a kids show would change the lives of so many people as he took on tough topics right from the first episode and never talked down to kids, acknowledging their fears, hopes, and dreams.

4. Avengers Infinity War - I became a Marvel fan after watching Thor and have stayed with the MCU ever since. I love how everything led to this movie and united the characters, put forth a tragic, sociopathic (take that Netflix) villain I could relate to, and then have the balls to kill off most of the main characters at the end. Such a fun time at the movies.

5. Black Panther - After the Civil War movie, Black Panther became one of my newest favorite Marvel Heroes. I love African Culture, so for a super hero movie to be set there, I was loving it. Great action, comedy, and they had BATTLE RHINOS!!! A great MCU solo movie.

6. A Quiet Place - I LOVE horror thrillers, and I especially love ones that take a risk in telling a new type of story. A Quiet Place did that by being quiet for most of it, raising my panic as the monsters got closer and closer. Plus, the underlying story of a Father's battle to save his family hit home for me.

7. Tag - I saw this with my best friend and what a joy this movie was. It wasn't life changing, but it was VERY funny and told how having fun with friends, and the bond of friendship, can last a lifetime. Just an overall funny movie.

8. Mary Poppins Returns - The sequel did the original justice and had a lot of new concepts to build on from the original. I love how they stayed true to the stylization of the first movie and even the plot pace. The music was great, and any review that says they were not memorable songs hasn't taken a couple more listens because most were memorable. Lin-Manuel Miranda is a gem and I will keep seeing any movie he's in, especially when he's singing.

9. Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse - This was a fun Spider-Man movie that brought in extra Spider-Characters from the multiverse and had some fun with it. The Animation was unique and the story was compelling.

10. Hereditary - I debated about adding this horror movie to my list. It was extremely good, but so disturbing, I don't think I could watch it again. Great performances, terrible events, horrific and disturbing moments fueled with raw emotion. The ending was so messed up, I had to sit in my car after the movie for 10 minutes and think about my life and faith. Any movie that can mess me up that much is worth the rating.

Honorable Mentions:

Alpha
Christopher Robin
Sicario: Day of the Soldado

Worst Movies of 2018:

The Nun - How can you take a part of the Conjuring universer and make it not scary? Hell, Annabelle had scary moments and the doll didn't move.

Annihilation - How do you take a great idea and make it boring? And end the movie with a dance off? Sorry, Guardians of the Galaxy did it first. I know a lot of people loved this movie and rated it high in 2018, but I was not impressed at all.

No comments: