Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Anti-Calgary Flame

So, as many people know, I am a huge Oilers fan. Always have... always will be. I have enjoyed the great Alberta rivalry between Calgary and Edmonton. I used to respect Calgary for their fan loyalty, great hockey prowess and hey, they have a St.Albert native on their team: Jarome Iginla. I used to say Calgary sucks, but only in fun. I still silently rooted for them in the playoffs. The more Canadian teams going for the Stanley Cup, the better. I mean, it's a hockey game. It's all in fun.

This morning, that fun rivalry turned to disgust when I heard that the Calgary Flames signed Todd Bertuzzi for next season. For those who don't know, Todd Bertuzzi was the idiot player from Vancouver who sucker punched, then face planted Steve Moore (playing for Colorado) into the ice for an attack on a fellow player from a previous game. While Moore is not without sin here (he hurt Markus Naslund in a previous game), Bertuzzi had no right to injure Moore that way. A simple hockey fight would have done fine. To date, Moore has never played in the NHL since the attack and most likely never will. While Bertuzzi has had suspensions, numerous fines and salary cuts, and endorsement cancellations, he is still allowed to play hockey. Is that real punishment?

No. I just read a book about reality discipline for children (where children are disciplined according to the real world, as adults are) and this goes against it. If you can't play fair, and the other person can't play the game either because of your action, than neither should you. Some people may argue that he apologized. I accept his apology. I do think he felt remorse and he understood that he crossed the line. But, he shouldn't be allowed to play again.

Sure, maybe his is a good player. However, that will not stop me from being truly disgusted with Calgary for signing him. And if any of you are wondering what I would do if Edmonton signed Bertuzzi (which they never will because he's too damn expensive), I would stop cheering for the Oilers, never wear their jersey or follow their games until Betuzzi left the team.
So, that's it. My rant against Bertuzzi and the Calgary Flames. I hope Calgary loses all their games this season, season ticket sales drastically decline and many Calgary fans show some common sense and not go to the games whilst Bertuzzi plays for your team.

No comments: